United States forces were attacked four times in Iraq and Syria late on November 23, but there were no casualties or damage to infrastructure, a U.S military official told Reuters.
According to the unnamed official, U.S. forces were attacked at two bases in northeastern Syria with multiple rockets and a suicide drone
In Iraq, multiple suicide drones were launched at Ayn al-Assad Air Base in the western province of al-Anbar and another was launched at a base housing U.S. forces near Erbil International Airport in the northern autonomous region of Kurdistan, the official said.
The Islamic Resistance in Iraq (IRI), a coalition of Iranian-backed armed factions, claimed responsibility for the attack and said that they were carried out in response to Israeli “crimes” against Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.
Video footage released by the IRI showed the launch of multiple suicide drones, all of which were similar in design to the Iranian-made Ababil-2.
The IRI formed a special operations room to support Gaza and began launching attacks against U.S. forces in Iraq and neighboring Syria following the October 17 Al-Ahli Arab Hospital massacre. Since then, around 70 attacks have targeted U.S. forces in Iraq and Syria.
Earlier this week, nine fighters of the IRI, most of them members of the Kata’ib Hezbollah, were killed in two waves of U.S. retaliatory strikes on Iraq.
It is still unclear if the IRI will halt attacks on U.S. forces in Iraq and Syria during the temporary ceasefire in Gaza which began on November 24.