The United States Central Command (CENTCOM) said on February 11 that its forces destroyed two unmanned surface vessels (USV) and three mobile anti-ship cruise missiles of the Houthis (Ansar Allah) in Yemen in “self-defense strikes” a day earlier.
In a statement, the command said its forces identified the USVs and missiles in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen and determined they presented an imminent threat to U.S. Navy ships and merchant vessels in the region.
“These actions will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S. Navy and merchant vessels,” CENTCOM added.
Yemen’s Al-Masirah TV, which is run by the Houthis, said that three “American-British” strikes hit the town of al-Salif in the western province of al-Hudaydah on February 10.
On the same day, the Saba news agency, which is also linked to the Houthis, announced the death of 17 fighters of the group in recent “American-British” strikes.
The Houthis have targeted dozens of Israel-affiliated vessels and others owned by the U.S. and the United Kingdom in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden since November 19 in response to the ongoing Israeli war and siege on the Gaza Strip, which has so far claimed the lives of more than 28,000 Palestinains.
The U.S. and the UK retaliated to the attacks by carrying out dozens of strikes on Houthi-controlled areas in Yemen in recent weeks.
Despite recent strikes, the Houthis are still determined to go on with their military campaign and shipping to Israel via the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden remain mostly on halt.