0 $
2,500 $
5,000 $
400 $
APRIL 2025

Iran Withdrew Military Personnel From Yemen Amid U.S. Strikes

Support SouthFront

Iran Withdrew Military Personnel From Yemen Amid U.S. Strikes

Illustrative image.

Iran has reportedly ordered its military personnel to leave areas controlled by the Houthis (Ansar Allah) in Yemen, the Telegraph reported on April 3, citing a “senior Iranian official.”

The unnamed official told the British newspaper that Tehran was scaling back its support of its regional allies to focus on the direct threats emanating from the United States.

“Every meeting is dominated by discussions about [U.S. President Donald Trump],” the official said.

According to the official, Iran’s pullback from Yemen was designed to avoid the possibility of escalation if an Iranian soldier is killed in U.S. airstrikes there.

Iran is the main backer of the Houthis, with reports suggesting that the group’s drone and missile capabilities were built with direct help from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The U.S. military resumed strikes against Houthi-controlled areas in Yemen on March 15 on orders from Trump, who said that the large-scale operation was launched in response to the group’s renewed attacks on shipping in the Red Sea.

Since the start of the operation, at least 67 people, including commanders of the Houthis and civilians, have been reportedly killed.

Trump  threatened Iran amid the operation, warning it of military consequences if it did not halt support of the Houthis. The U.S. President later made even more serious to Tehran over its nuclear program.

Tehran is focusing its efforts instead on how to respond to Trump’s recent threats, and “none of the regional groups we previously supported are being discussed,” the official said.

“The view here is that the Houthis will not be able to survive and are living their final months or even days, so there is no point in keeping them on our list,” he continued.

“They were part of a chain that relied on Nasrallah and Assad, and keeping only one part of that chain for the future makes no sense,” the official added, referring respectively to the former leaders of Lebanese Hezbollah and Syria.

Iran has not yet commented on the Telegraph’s report, which may be just a piece of propaganda. While the United Kingdom didn’t take part in the ongoing U.S. operation against the Houthis, it did launch strikes against the group in cooperation with the U.S. military last year.

The Houthis seemed unaffected by the alleged Iranian withdrawal. On April 4, the group announced that they had once again attacked the aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman and several other warships of the U.S. Navy in the Red Sea with a number of cruise missiles and suicide drones.

Houthi military spokesman, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, said in a statement that the attack, which was the second in under 24 hours, foiled two waves of strikes on Yemen.

“The Yemeni Armed Forces, with trust in God, are confronting the American aggression against our country and are preparing, with God’s help, to confront any possible developments during the coming period. The aggressor will know that great Yemen cannot be broken or surrendered, and will not abandon its religious, moral and humanitarian duties towards the oppressed Palestinian people, whatever the repercussions and whatever the results. Victory will be Yemen’s ally, God willing,” the spokesman added.

A halt of Iranian support could be disastrous for the Houthis. However, it would be as bad, if not worse, for Tehran as this would allow the U.S. and Israel to direct more capabilities towards it. Thus, it is highly unlikely that the Islamic Republic will take such a risk.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence

NOW hosted at southfront.press

Previously, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.org.

The .org domain name had been blocked by the US (NATO) (https://southfront.press/southfront-org-blocked-by-u-s-controlled-global-internet-supervisor/) globally, outlawed and without any explanation

Back before that, from 2013 to 2015, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.com

SOUTHFRONT.PRESS

MORE ON THIS TOPIC:

 

Support SouthFront

SouthFront

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
12 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Moshe Dayan

they better find a way to deactivate the mac address codes so that the nato warplanes can’t keep targeting them.

hash
failed
zefplok

lol , to withdrew you have to be there to begin with … c’mon , quoting the telegraph : you’re slaking your own standards.

hash
hashed
kotromanic

the huthis were the only that had a chance to get out of this alife from the axis but they continued the fight after iran had allready abandoned it. but to be honest i like the fact that iran is betraying the huthis cause this will open a door for russia to betray them as well. strike a deal with isreal give them whatever of syria they want keep the bases and protect the christians and alevites.

hash
hashed
rafik

which unnamed offical is this . its just a propoganda news to create rift nothing else . there is no iranian soldier in yemen there were advisor and they all left after training houthis with missile and drone capabilities and very few is there to guide the attaack .. iran will not abondon the support to any resistance specally hezbollah and houthis they are main ally to humilate us /israel

hash
hashed
Wallter

the americ*nts are bombing away and achieving very little considering the amounts of money they are spending – naval vessels including 2 aircraftcarriers, f35s galore for the bombing and missiles in defense against the houthis’s missile attacks. and no number of americ’nts feet on the ground will change the fact that the flow of bodybags to home will increase. wonder why slime jared kushner ain’t on the ground saving the jews,

hash
failed
Wallter

not to worry, iran will keep supporting the houthis indefinietly

Niccolo Machiavelli

you’re quoting the telegraph? really? propaganda central?

hash
hashed
MrQ

that’s fake news…why sf is quoting “the telegraph”???

hash
hashed
the narrative

so the telegraph has a press campaign to link yemen to iran ? it should read top hasbara officials use the telegraph for more public brainwashing for pro warmongering israel project .

hash
hashed
R. Ambrose Raven

“the view here is that the houthis will not be able to survive and are living their final months or even days, so there is no point in keeping them on our list.” if true, such a statement adds betrayal to cowardice and incompetence..

hash
hashed
Malcolm Z

the same brit propaganda that told that russia didnt have tanks and missile in 2022..

hash
hashed
V for victory

just a curiosity: someone knows how far is the us carrier ship from the yemeni shores? how can they target it so often when it’s so difficult to see over the horizon?

hash
hashed
12
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x