The Saudi-backed internationally recognized government in Yemen announced on August 18 that its forces have conducted more than 100 military operations against the Houthis (Ansar Allah) in the past 24 hours as fighting spreads in the country.
In a post to X, the government’s military spokesman Col. Majed al-Nuzaili said at least 133 operations were conducted against “the capabilities and elements of the terrorist Houthi militia,” with the participation of army units stationed along front-line positions.
Government forces also released footage they said documented a range of strikes against the Houthis in different parts of Yemen.
The National Resistance published videos showing attacks on Houthi vehicles, including an armored engineering vehicle reportedly used to dig trenches and construct fortifications. Additional footage showed strikes on a Houthi weapons storage site and what was described as a forward command-and-control center.
In the southwestern province of Taiz, government forces said they foiled a Houthi infiltration attempt on the al-Anin front in Jabal Habashi district, west of the city.
Government drone units there struck forward Houthi positions and command centers near the areas of Naqil al-Silw, al-Rafsah, and Dar al-Haribi.
Separately, the Third Military Region Command released nighttime footage it said showed strikes against Houthi personnel and fortifications in al-Hazm in the northern province of al-Jawf.
The escalation in Yemen began after the Houthis announced a “maritime blockade” against Saudi Arabia last month. Since then, the group has carried out a series of attacks targeting Saudi airports, oil facilities, Yemeni government forces, infrastructure in the country, and tankers in the Red Sea.
The group announced on August 18 that it had targeted an Aramco refinery in Saudi Arabia’s southwestern Jizan province with several drones.
A Houthi military source told the Houthi-run Saba news agency that the attack was carried out in response to what the group described as “violations of Yemeni airspace” over the northern provinces of Saada and Hajjah. The kingdom has not yet addressed the claims.
The latest round of fighting has pushed Yemen’s ceasefire closer to collapse than at any point since it took effect more than four years ago.
Saudi Arabia is reported to be preparing a major operation against the Houthis, led by Yemeni government forces. At the same time, the kingdom is said to be engaged in talks with the group through Oman in the hope of de-escalating. For now, a prolonged low-intensity conflict in Yemen seems the more likely scenario.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence
NOW hosted at southfront.press
Previously, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.org.
The .org domain name had been blocked by the US (NATO) (https://southfront.press/southfront-org-blocked-by-u-s-controlled-global-internet-supervisor/) globally, outlawed and without any explanation
Back before that, from 2013 to 2015, SouthFront: Analysis and Intelligence was at southfront.com


